Everyone already knows that conditioner can double as shaving cream (another tip: mix with water in a spray bottle to keep crazy beach hair in check). Here are five more multitasking miracles that do everything from taming cowlicks to banishing nasty odors. What are your favorite beauty multitaskers?
1. Anastasia Brow Gel. I cannot live without this! Beauty experts have proclaimed clear mascara as the brow tamer of choice for years, but Anastasia Brow Gel has that weak stuff beat by a mile. It's stiff enough that it keeps your brows in place all day, but not so much as to make them crunchy. Its other use? As a flyaway/cowlick tamer. My morning hair routine always ends with a light swipe of the Brow Gel along my part and at my forehead, to keep my long bangs perfectly sideswept.
2. NARS Multiple in Copacabana. I talk about this stuff all the time, but if I haven't drummed it into your head yet that it's the BEST, here goes another try. This creamy silvery-beige stick works as a highlighter on cheekbones, browbones, inner corners of eyes, and upper lip, as well as an incredible body highlighter (shoulders, collarbones and legs). You can even smush some into your favorite body butter to add just a hint of an allover glow. And try dabbing on lips, too, to lighten up and add shimmer to any of your favorite lip products.
3. Antiperspirant. Let's be clear: we're talking about solids here, not gels. A solid antiperspirant can work wonders to eliminate shoe friction from heels and straps, not to mention helping to keep your feet nice and dry. And it's fabulous for keeping bikini irritation and razor burn at bay.
4. Hand Sanitizer. (First of all, make sure yours works by using alcohol; stay away from sanitizers with triclosan, which may contribute to the development of superbugs, and has some potential safety issues.) I use hand sanitizer for everything - for its intended purpose, of course, for an allover body refresher (it's particularly good for eliminating "beach hands" and "beach feet," that weird, not-exactly-sand residue you feel after a day at the beach), as a top-up for antiperspirant, and most interestingly, as a bad odor blocker. I've been guilty of rubbing a dab of hand sanitizer just inside my nostrils when confronted with an offending aroma on the subway. It's like Vicks Vaporub for stinky environments - I swear it works!
5. A classic moisturizer. Refer back to last month's Five for Friday post for an in-depth discussion of the five most quoted moisturizers that answer the question, "What's the one thing in your beauty arsenal that does EVERYTHING?" Everyone has a favorite - what's yours?